This is embarrassing. Like really embarrassing.
I was at the New York International Auto Show, what a week, two weeks ago? No. Two and a half months ago.
I apologize for the delay. I was even considering not acknowledging that I went since so much time has passed. You know, if you ignore a problem long enough, eventually it’ll go away?
But that is wrong of me to do. I have a few important things I want to say about last April’s New York International Auto Show and I should stop avoiding.
1. I’ve been to Manhattan a zillion times but I had never gone by myself. Nor had I hailed a taxi before. Leave it to me to walk down the block scoping out the taxis before deciding on the one I preferred to ride in: a Ford Escape. Hybrid. That was a very empowering moment.
2. I made sure to arrive super early for Infiniti’s “exclusive event.” They promised Infiniti executives and engineers would be there. Seriously. I’m not making that up. None of them showed. All they had that was “exclusive” was the bagel tray. I don’t even eat carbs.
3. The Infiniti concept car was an IPL G37 convertible. The IPL G37 already exists as a coupe. The G37 already exists as a convertible. So… how exactly is the IPL G37 convertible a “concept?” Annoying.
4. I’m pretty sure Mercedes-Benz and BMW just blew off the dust from their displays from last year.
5. The Fiat 500 is delightful.
6. Does anyone really care about Volkswagen?
7. Lexus removes the shift knobs from their trucks because people steal them. So they cover the shift knobs with this nasty electrical tape. Number one: so what if people steal them? Replace them throughout the event. Or put stupid plastic ones on them. Number two: if some kid is rough housing in a GX and accidentally falls over and pokes his eye out on this, it’s going to be a much more expensive lawsuit than a few stolen shift knobs. Just sayin.’
8. I loved seeing the Infiniti/Renault Formula 1 Racecar. It made me feel so close to Mark Webber. Like I could reach out and touch something he’s touched. And I’d really like to be touched by Mark Webber. Did I say that outloud?
That’s all I got. Check out some of my favorite pictures from the show:
If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!